Not Your Everyday News

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Go to VOTE!

Today is midterm election day, and we have some interesting races
across the country, including our fine state of Virginia. Naturally
there are congressional races in each district, but we also have the
headline grabbing senatorial race, where an upset may occur. All I
really want to say is get out and VOTE.....I don't care what your
political affiliation is, what your agenda entails, just go to the polls.
I am always dismayed at the low voter turnout in the United States.
It seems that folks get all excited when turnout creeps above 50%.
That is embarrassing. Apathy, ignorance, laziness...all of these are
the reasons. But people who do not vote, in my book, should have
no say in decisions made on the local, state, or federal level, and
thus also no rights to complain about them either. You may think
that your vote doesn't matter, that it won't make a difference, but
nothing could be further from the truth. There are countries all
over the world where people are imprisoned, are even dying, for
the right to vote. We have it here, yet 1/2 of us could care less. My
goodness, the first thing I did when I turned 18 was to register to
vote; even when I was living overseas I never missed an election; I
would go to the American embassy and cast my absentee ballot.
So people, get out there and VOTE, it takes all of 5 minutes, if that,
and you'll get your little "I Voted" sticker and feel good about it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home