Not Your Everyday News

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

1894-S Barber Dime

Some of you may, or may not, know that I am a coin collector,
not a real serious one, but above average. I generally stick to
U.S. coins, mostly silver ones. My faves include the 3 cent
nickels (yeah, sounds weird, but they do exist!) and all Barber
coinage. Barbers are what we collectors call all dimes, quarters,
and half dollar coins minted between 1892-1916; the coins
were designed by Charles Barber. One Barber I DON'T have is
the 1894-S dime. Only 24 proofs were made, none for general
circulation. Of the 24 proofs, only 9 are documented to be in
existence. One of those got sold a few days ago by someone in
California to a lucky soul in New York. Lucky, and rich I may
add, as the coin sold for 1.9 million dollars. The 1894-S Barber
dime is considered by many in the coin world as the Holy Grail
of coins. I know I will never get to own one, but I do hope to see
one at some point, hold it in my hot big hand and just pretend
for a few seconds.....and then grudgingly give it back. Unless I
finally hit the lottery, then maybe I can get my own, right after
I buy the Porsche Carrera convertable and a beachfront villa!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger wally$1 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:19 AM, December 13, 2008  
Blogger wally$1 said...

paulandbert said...
Maybe we can help each other, I've inherited a few coins that belonged to my great-great-grandfather. Which I was not fortunate enough to meet and learn what these coins meant. I think I have the "1894-S Barber Dime". What is the value of this type of coin, if you don't mind me asking.

If you're not sure of the value of this coin, would you kindly point me in the right direction for the websites or links, etc.

1:19 AM, December 13, 2008

1:29 AM, December 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home