Not Your Everyday News

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Space - The final frontier

Well, I may actually be speechless for once. I mean, basically all I can
do is just shake my head, both in pity and amazement. There are 2 new
girls working at the restaurant, one as a waitress, the other as a jack of
all trades, at whatever post we need her, be it waitress, dishwasher,
busser, or kitchen prep. They are both like 19 or 20, and you would
think, with a full life ahead of them. you would think. But they are both
just so out there, complete flakes, even flakier than my breakfast cereal.
You know it's bad when the regular customers, who usually try to be
diplomatic about the restaurant staff, have offered commentary about
these girls - in outer space, not residents of this planet, floating, unable
to focus - the list goes on. (No, I did not hire these space cadets, they
were given a try by my dayshift counterpart, who is turning out to be
quite the bleeding heart!) They are not bad girls, I actually feel sorry
for them, as it obvious that they are poor and with little or no parental
support (and absolutely ZERO parental guidance or supervision). But
I have a hard time believing they are going to cut it in the restaurant,
where the pace sometimes is beyond frenetic. Maybe part-time, on the
slower nights...maybe? We shall see. The only thing I can say is that it
isn't just our restaurant where the help isn't exactly top-notch. My
husband and I went to one of the famous chain restaurants the other
day, my favorite one of the bunch (known for its ribs, Tex-Mex, and
burgers). Our waiter could easily be related to one of these girls that
I have just mentioned. He tried to make a joke that died after the first
line, fidgeted with his hands constantly, and had this vacant look and
laugh. He then proceeded to forget our re-fills; he disappeared for the
bulk of our time there. He suddenly reappeared well after another
server got us our drinks. We still left him a tip, but not our standard
20%. Hate to sound cliche, but sadly, good help is hard to find.

2 Comments:

Blogger Just a Random Girl said...

That's why I prefer to stay at home and fix my own fooooooood.

3:43 AM, February 25, 2007  
Blogger lilredpro5 said...

now now, if everyone had that kind of attitude, what would we restaurant folk do? ;)

12:27 PM, February 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home