Not Your Everyday News

Sunday, September 17, 2006

crazy weekend

crazy and tiring that is. Our local university lost their homecoming
football game yesterday, thus cementing the fact this will be a long
season. I mean come on, most schools schedule a cream puff for their
homecoming game, in order to have a sure win in front of all the
alumni. oh well. And naturally, that meant the restaurant was still
busy afterwards, but not as busy as we get after they win. Not sure
if it is typical with other college towns, but business is always better
after a win. But maybe it was better we didn't have quite the same
volume, as last night a couple of the cooks were simply incompetant
and food was coming out slow; I even had to abandon the front and
go back there at times to put together a few subs and salads and to
drop some appetizers in the deep fryer. On other occasions Herman
had to abandon the pizza and calzone station and oven (in another part
of the kitchen) to assist the 2 bozos, thus slightly delaying his stuff too,
so I would go and make pizzas so Herman could keep helping them.
Let's just say I was not a happy camper, as the waitstaff was getting more
and more frustrated with the slowness of the food readiness, as they are
the ones who had to deal with their customers; fortunately most were
nice and understanding; a few I mollified with some discounts at the
cash register. What also frustrated me was having to take the phone off
the hook for almost 2 hours to cut out to-go orders, as the kitchen
couldn't handle it. I hate doing that. Just not a good situation, especially
after we ran out of pizzas (I blame the day shift guys for that, for not
making enough pizza dough before hand, it takes time to mix, cut, rise,
and then to form in the pans). The ice machine began to run slow too,
had to go out and buy ice from the supermarket. Had to cut lettuce as we
went in order to make salads (again I blame day shift, for not cutting
extra for night shift knowing there was a football game and the night
shift guys were NOT going to have time to do it.). Pitiful and pathetic.
Can you tell I am still fuming!???! Let me change the subject please!!
Got a crazy postcard from Lola in Alaska yesterday, detailing all the
wildlife she has seen up close and personal. Michelle and one of her
pals came in for dinner lastnight, but didn't have time to talk to her
too much, for obvious reasons listed above. I did get a chance to talk to
these 2 older sisters who come in occasionally and are very sweet. I
will call them Susan and Gina. Susan is the oldest and has had some
health issues, thus one reason I hadn't seen them in a couple of
months. Gina, the baby (so to speak!) is a very meticulous woman, the
kind who has every hair in place (with 1/2 a can of hairspray of course!)
and who aims to pay with exact change every time! They both retired
last year when a very old and wealthy aunt passed away and left them a
home and a good deal of money. The aunt had no other living relatives,
and both Susan and Gina had visited her often in the nursing home. So
now, when they aren't beset by health issues, they take trips (Myrtle
Beach, S.C. is Gina's fave place, Pigeon Forge, TN is Susan's - I think
that is some country music fan hangout!). Well, one more night, then 2
blessed days off. I know they will busy too, as hubby has a doctor's
appointment, and we also have a book signing to go to (will talk about
that sometime in the next couple of days, it's an interesting story). But at
least I won't encounter cooks that need to be hung by their fingernails!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lola here. You forgot to mention how to make cash secret shopping! BTW, I'm watching Million Dollar Baby on my new cable TV. That's right. I have Cable. Haven't had cable since, oh, a billion years ago. I go to the wild and I find technology!

12:04 AM, September 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home