Not Your Everyday News

Thursday, December 28, 2006

movies

Just read an interesting online article from 'Premiere Magazine', a
magazine which is all about movies. It was titled 'The 20 Most Over-
rated Movies of All Time' . I have not seen 1/2 of the movies listed,
heck, I hadn't even heard of 6 of them. But on this so-called list, I
focused my attention on 2 of them. At the top was 'American Beauty',
whose opening music sequence happens to be the ringtone on my
cell phone! It is not my ringtone because I liked the movie, but just
because I think the music is cool. I could never understand the
media hype and adoration this movie received; Kevin Spacey, as in
all the movies he makes, was simply wonderful. But the film itself
was slow and it's plot way too confusing; midlife crisis gone wrong,
or the true meaning of life and relationships? So I was quite glad to
see it was at the top of the overrated list, as it kind of justified my
reasoning. But the movie at #20 is a shocker to me....'Gone with the
Wind'!!! What on earth? Yes, it was a bit too long, and at times, you
just wanted to slap Melanie for being too nice and to beat up Scarlett
for being such a self-absorbed witch. But it is a classic, and when one
considers that it was made in the 30's, then one must admit the
cinematography is fantastic. The acting was also superb; Vivian Leigh,
who wasn't even an American, was the perfect spoiled Southern belle.
And Olivia de Havilland and Clark Gable played their roles to a T.
A few movies that I think should of made the overrated list - 'Dances
With Wolves',
'Titanic', and 'Gladiator'. These 3 films suffer either
from bad acting (DiCaprio, Crowe), unrealistic stories or settings,
and slow, crawling plots which dragged the films out too long
('Dances with Wolves' especially). I hope 'Premiere' puts out a top
20 underrated film list, I would love to see that and then rant and
rave about those picks too!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok first I am so highly upset that gone with the wind was on the over rated list! Obviously they didn't see the movie. Its the best movie in the world. Second on what you think should be on that list; titanic and your reasoning is it was an unrealistic story. Ok so I thought you knew a little about history but let me refresh your forgetting mind (maybe age is catching up with you)...the titanic did sink. Not unrealistic at all!
~the most beautiful and may I add smart Michelle!

6:27 AM, December 29, 2006  
Blogger lilredpro5 said...

yes honeybun, the Titanic DID sink,
and there was a shortage of lifeboats,
and the few lifeboats they had were NOT
filled to capacity - all that they had
right. But everything else, primarily
the story around ole Leo, was a crock.
It doesn't help that he is one of the
most overrated actors of this generation!

9:48 AM, December 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think he's THAT over-rated. In fact, I'd say he receives pretty much everything right on par with what he deserves. Oh wait a minute, I forgot that he makes a bloated salary like Julia Roberts, Tom Cruise and even Oprah. None of them are worth the money they pull in. What about you and your restaurant?

1:52 PM, December 29, 2006  
Blogger lilredpro5 said...

I don't make nearly enough for what I have to put up with most of the time- no shows, shorthanded and/or lazy staff, drunk rednecks and/or college students, picky senior citizens- need I go on???

3:13 PM, December 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok first I am so highly upset that gone with the wind was on the over rated list! Obviously they didn't see the movie. Its the best movie in the world. Second on what you think should be on that list; titanic and your reasoning is it was an unrealistic story. Ok so I thought you knew a little about history but let me refresh your forgetting mind (maybe age is catching up with you)...the titanic did sink. Not unrealistic at all!
~the most beautiful and may I add smart Michelle!

9:36 PM, December 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home