Not Your Everyday News

Thursday, August 03, 2006

call me Cher.....

....you like me, you really like me! Ok, so I can't pull off Cher, but then again,
other than a drag queen, who can? But I do appreciate the folks who are
posting comments to my blog here, thanks ever so much! Well, today was
the first day back to work after my days off. Today, and the next 3 days,
will be day shift, which is USUALLY a tad less scintillating that night shift.
But that doesn't mean there are no adventures to be had. For instance,
every Wednesday the local rag....I mean newspaper....prints a section
called 'Court Reports'....records from both the city and the county of
various folks, their court dates, crimes, and sentences. Naturally, I and my
staff pay great attention to this part of the paper, just to see what other
restaurant employee, past or present, or regular customers have their
name in black and white! Sadly, most of the time, there is a name or two
we recognize, such as the ex-husband of one of the waitresses, or an
ex-roommate of one of our regular customers most recently! And then
there is mail call....our friendly postman delivers the restaurant mail,
usually right around 11:00am or so....and I would guess that about once
a week or so, we get some kind of mail from the state or local authorities
that request that we enforce some kind of garnishment from an
employee's paycheck, usually for court costs and/or child support. I, as
the restaurant manager, do not reveal who is the subject of the mail,
but it is rather interesting to hear the staff try to guess who it is 'this
time'! Unfortunately, we have about a 1/2 dozen employees with some
kind of garnishment issue. And then of course, the icing on the cake,
when the local sheriff arrives with a warrant for some kind of court
appearance for someone....yes, when the automobile of the law pulls
into the parking lot and stops in the front, all eyes and ears are on
full alert! So as you can see, even if it seems to be just a normal day,
many times adventure is literally delivered to our door!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a regular. I hear about your blog through ears I post around town. I wish other establishments were as delightful as yours. The people of Charlottesville don't know what they're missing when they go to the Tavern or the Waffle House.

9:32 PM, August 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great, congratulations for this wonderful blog :)

10:10 AM, August 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home